Tuesday, 17 June 2014

Utterly Spiffing Authors

British authors are overlooked a lot of the time. Especially as access to other authors are so much easier now, whether its on Kindle, Ordering online, or just simply getting them in WH Smith.

Now there are a lot of obvious authors that aren't over looked, such as J. K. Rowling, Terry Pratchett, J. R. R. Tolkien, Neil Gaiman and Philip Pullman. The crazy thing is, that out of these authors, I've only read the books of two of them, and tried to read a book from one other, but I think I wasn't in the right mood so couldn't finish it.


Not that this goes for all British Authors. have forgotten about the classics such as Charles Dickens, with his novels which take you into the past where railways are haunted, Orphan boys find their families and cities collide. What about the Bronte sisters which show just how far women have come, as changing their names to a male name so their books would be sold is a cleaver idea but also shows the position women were in at the time. Not that this practice hasn't stopped in Britain with authors of best selling Harry Potter Series changing their name to a male name on their new books series to disassociate their new books with the old, so that the book isn't judged or compared to the HP series.

And where is good old Mr. Darcy? Oh yes, in Jane Austen's novel of Pride and Prejudice, or the Gothic story with dark monstrous creatures of the night, in the novel of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

So what else can I say about British authors... One word.

Shakespeare

So how can any British author compete with that? Whats the point?


But!!!! That doesn't mean Britain has given up!

One author that is a definite must read, is any and all books by Samantha Young! I can't even say how amazing her books are to read in one sitting and get immersed into her world with Ankh Warriors and Soul Eaters fighting it out. Or if you are more into Werewolves, definitely check out her Lunamorte series! You will fall in love with Lucien. Or why not learn a little about a world with Jinn in it, and what that means for Ari in Young's Fire Spirit Series.

If your not a YA reader, (meaning these books are for a more mature audience), check out her 'On Dublin Street' series. Which ever series you read, you will love.

 Also preferably for adults more than teens, is Joanne Harris, who is mostly known for her Chocolat series! You have probably seen the movie and gawked over Johnny Depp, well then, read the books! What about the TV show 'The White Queen'? Enjoyed it? Get Phillipa Gregory's books, which is in my personal to read this summer list!

I also feel that people sometimes pick up a book at the shop, and don't realize that they are a British author, I didn't know that Sophie Kinsella was from the UK until I started writing this post! I vaguely remember aspects of them which were British that only another person from the UK would get, but I was shocked, as so many Booktubers have reviewed it, and didn't mention it.

And then there are the very British Books that are iconicly Britain, such as Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones Diary which is a great summer read, have to admit, or when your home ill.

Or...thinking of summer reads, I read last year the book Billy and Me by Giovanna Fletcher. I read it by the pool at the hotel I was staying, in Portugal where me and my Gals had the whole goodbye sixth form, hello university holiday. WARNING! If you have Irish skin and are reading a book in the sun, remember not to stay out too long, you don't want to end up like me with a full on sun burn face to toes, with a bikini outline. I had factor 50 on for flip sake!! So basically, because I got so caught up in this book, I didn't even realize I was getting sun stroke, which I later discovered when I fainted in the supermarket on the 2nd Day in Portugal! Not. Fun.

I ended up spending the rest of the holiday in bed, unable to move, and listening to the only channel that was in English, yes, you guessed it, the music channel with the same songs repeated every half an hour. Not. Amused.

But I became good mates with the maid that came in everyday, while I was just lying down, unable to move. Embarrassing right?

But my misery also shows, just how good this book is! And the author is married to one of the McFly, also very British! What I also loved about this book, was that it reminded me of home, especially as I live on a hill, and well, while it isn't a tea house, it's a pub, when I was reading this, I imagined my local pub (which I now work at), was the tea house!

So after writing this little blog, I have kind of realized that I too am guilty of not reading enough books by British authors. I also admitted that I've not read any of the Lord of the Ring's which people are probably shocked about, also as I do actually have all the books, but they are left unread on my shelf, passed down from my book loving older sister who has practically worn them out. This summer I will probably try reading more British books, but as I have a stack of other books I also want to read I may not get to them. Need to prioritize people!

Thanks and Keep Reading!

Once again the authors goodread pgs will be linked below:
J.K Rowling
Terry Pratchett
J.R.R.Tolkien
Neil Gaiman
Philip Pullman
Charles Dickens
Emily Bronte
Anne Bronte
Charlotte Bronte
Jane Austen
William Shakespear
Samantha Young
Joanne Harris
Philippa Gregory
Sophie Kinsella
Helen Fielding
Giovanna Fletcher